Thursday, May 15, 2014

Pasture Management Continues...

If it hasn't been clear from my posts last year, pasture management is an ongoing chore around most farms!  And since I didn't do a great job with preparation last spring, it is going to take me a bit longer to get the pasture just the way I want it.

I'm happy to say that the grass seed I planted is coming in great!  It still isn't long enough to graze, but it will get there.  There actually are spots that need to be mown!

View of the top of the pasture.

There's one big chore left to work on though...ridding the pasture of burdock!  Originally my plan was to pull them all up with a handy little dandelion picker tool, but after giving myself a nice blister on my hand, I decided that wasn't such a great idea.

Next I wanted to try another dandelion picker tool...this one you use while standing up, which is much easier on the knees and hands!  Unfortunately the burdocks have a longer root than dandelions so the tool just twists them, it doesn't actually pull them up.

Now I'm going to take a 2 prong approach...pulling up the biggest plants, and mowing the areas with lots of burdock.  Hopefully between the two methods, I'll be able to make a dent in the population.  It will get more serious when the burdock goes to seed, I just hope I'll be able to keep up with them!

My tool of choice.

I've picked buckets and buckets of burdock in only a few days!

I can't wait to see how the pasture looks at the end of the fall!

A burr-free area!



No comments: