Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Knitting Pattern #4: Abby Cowl

I finally managed to design another knitting pattern...this time using my very own handspun!

Originally I knit up this pattern using Knit Picks Galileo, but the cowl was too wide and I wanted to re-do it.  I wanted to spin some of the new merino/mohair roving I had just gotten processed at the mill where I work, so I decided to spin some of it into sport-weight yarn for this cowl.

A bad picture, but here is the cowl in progress.

As I was taking pictures of the cowl, I couldn't manage to get a good one using either a mannequin or myself, but my dog Abby made a great model, so I decided to name the pattern after her.

I just didn't like how the cowl looked on the mannequin.  I won't even post the terrible picture of myself wearing it!

Abby Cowl

Abby modeling the cowl.

Finished Size: 9.5" wide (19" around), 6.5" tall.  Should fit a child or woman.

Autumn Hill Llamas Sport Weight, 1 skein (or ~110 yards of any sport weight yarn)
#4 needles - circular or double point
22 sts & 36 rows = 4"

Cast on 102 sts.

Knit edge:

  • knit 1 row
  • purl 1 row
  • knit 1 row
  • purl 1 row
Start stitch pattern: (work 2 full repeats of pattern)
  1. purl (and all wrong-side rows)
  2. k3 *ssk, k5, yo* k1
  3. purl
  4. k3 *ssk, k4, yo, k1* k1
  5. purl
  6. k3 *ssk, k3, yo, k2* k1
  7. purl
  8. k3 *ssk, k2, yo, k3* k1
  9. purl
  10. k3 *ssk, k1, yo, k4* k1
  11. purl
  12. k3 *ssk, yo, k5* k1
  13. purl
  14. k1 *yo, k5, k2tog* k3
  15. purl
  16. k2 *yo, k4, k2tog, k1* k2
  17. purl
  18. k3 *yo, k3, k2tog, k2* k1
  19. purl
  20. k4 *yo, k2, k2tog, k3*
  21. purl
  22. k5 *yo, k1, k2tog, k4* - end the last repeat as k3 (rather than k4)
  23. purl
  24. k6 *yo, k2tog, k5* - end the last repeat as k3 (rather than k5)
Repeat the edge:


  • knit 1 row
  • purl 1 row
  • knit 1 row
  • purl 1 row
Bind off loosely in purl.

A close-up of the stitch pattern.

I hope you enjoy the pattern, I really like how it came out.  Handspun yarn for this project can be found in my Etsy store, and the pattern is listed on Ravelry.  Please let me know if you find any errors, I'm still a new designer!

No comments: