Saturday, April 5, 2014

Still Waiting...

While Spring has finally sprung, it is nowhere near warm enough to think about prepping the garden yet.

I did get to start the next set of seeds on Monday.  I started 4 different types of tomatoes, parsley, and echinacea.

In the meantime, I thought I'd share pictures of my pitiful garden.

This is 2/3 of the available garden space.  This is what I will be planting this year.  I really need to get down there and remove all the plastic and old carpeting!

The plastic/carpet covering has been on for almost 11 months...much longer than needed!  The garden never got planted last year!

This is the other 1/3 of the available space.  There were tomatoes between the posts for the past 3-4 years, so I'm going to pile on the llama manure this year and let the area lie dormant this year.  If I manage to be successful with the other part, I'll add this part on next year.

Lots of space to expand!

And now for a bit of comedy...

This is the original compost pile that I built back in the fall.  I figured it would be more than big enough.

A little llama poop...

This is what happened after 6 months...I wasn't able to pile the manure/bedding more than about 3' high, so I had to keep expanding horizontally.  The pile is now at least 3x wider than the space that I set up!  Luckily this can be fixed...once the pile thaws out we're going to get at it with the tractor and front-loader, and condense the pile.  We'll also take out the oldest part of the pile to mix into the garden.

A LOT of llama poop!

Next week I'll be planting more seeds indoors, and hopefully my tomato/parsley/echinacea seeds will have sprouted by then!

No comments: