Saturday, July 2, 2011

State Fair Entries

It's that time of year again...when I frantically try to finish knitting and spinning projects to enter at the Indiana State Fair.  This year I'm trying to cut back a bit though, and not bite off more than I can chew.  Other than a few spinning projects that I have to start, everything else is just adding the finishing touches to some knitting projects.

This is my entry for "Handspun Indiana Product".  It is completely handspun yarn, spun from roving made from our herd of llamas and alpacas.  It didn't quite turn out as I had hoped, but it was an interesting challenge of a project.

This is my "Felted Hat" entry...pre-felting and embroidery.  This is one of the few projects I've actually made for myself...hope it gets cold enough this winter to use it!

This is the beginning of a shawl for my "Handspun Knitting" entry.  It is a beaded silk shawl, made from the handspun yarn that won "Best of Handspun" last year at the fair.  It is done, just needs to be blocked.
I'm making pretty good progress this year though.  I have yet to finish a felted wreath (just needs to be felted, cut, and decorated) and a felted bag (needs to be felted and decorated), and still need to come up with a "Knitted Accessory" project.  Any ideas?  I have a few skeins left to spin too... a "Double Ply" skein (probably a blend of wool and tencel/silk) and a "Novelty" skein (Corriedale locks plied with tencel).

If you're in the Indianapolis area in August you should stop by the fair!  The livestock exhibitions are a lot of fun, and there are a lot of really nice finished products on display as well.  The llama show is August 4-7!

No comments: