The most important thing to unpack was the stall panels! The llamas have quickly eaten most of the grass in their pasture, so I wanted to set up the stall panels in some taller grass outside the pasture and let them graze in the afternoons. I've let them in the pen for the past 4 days, and they seem to love it! Hopefully it will help the pasture recover too.
|The herd enjoying a beautiful fall day.|
Also very important to unpack were the hay feeders. I decided to stick the outside hay feeder in the grass just outside the barn...that way I don't have to shovel too much snow this winter! We have to do a bit more rearranging before we can put the indoor hay feeder in place in the barn, so for now the llamas are still eating hay out of big buckets.
|Hay feeder in place!|
The biggest chore though was to unpack all of the little supplies and put them in my newly-cleaned storage room! I spent several days before our trip cleaning out the dirt and sand in this little room, and cleaning the cabinet so I could paint it.
|Feed bins, medical supplies, and heated water buckets in the storage room.|
I primed and painted the cabinet this week, and it perfectly dry today and ready to be filled!
|My beautiful painted cabinet, as well as a bunch of llama supplies.|
I even got to "steal" this nice little vanity cabinet (from my parents' house) to store halters in! It was installed today, but I still need to screw in the hooks.
|Halter cabinet ready for use!|
Now for some of the other random things I did today... First was to fix the gate latch! I had locked all the animals in the barn this afternoon so I could halter them one by one and collect fecal samples to process tomorrow. I stepped out of the barn to re-arrange their stall panel pen in the yard and came back to the gate wide open and a broken latch board! No idea what happened, but luckily it was easily fixed.
|Somehow the board got broken right in half!|
|New board in place with the latch. This one will be a lot harder to break!|
The best thing that happened today...I figured out how to turn the lights on in the barn! There are a million switches and plugs in this old barn, and somehow I had overlooked the one that turns on the lights! I'm so glad I will have lights this winter, even if I have to walk half-way into the barn to turn them on!
|We have light!!!|
And last but not least, my "fecal station" countertops! I've decided to use an old laundry sink to run fecals, but there isn't any table/counter space to set the centrifuge. So I bought some plywood at Lowes last week and plan to set the pieces on top of the sink to create a temporary counter top. They can also be removed when I need to use the sink to wash things after running fecals! I wanted something that was fairly water-proof and easy to clean, so I primed and painted the plywood pieces (just like the cabinet), and then applied 3 coats of polyurethane. Hopefully they will be dry tomorrow so I can run fecals!
|Painted "countertops" ready for the spray coat.|