Saturday, April 12, 2014

Cleaning the Gardens

Today was gorgeous here in upstate NY!  I knew from the forecast that it was supposed to be nice, so I was a bit worried in the morning when it was still overcast and cold.  By the time I got back from my errands and had lunch, the sky was blue and it was quite warm.  Perfect for working outside!

I originally planned on pulling the plastic and old carpeting off the vegetable garden (and of course take pictures to blog about), but my other "to-do" items got in the way, so that will be for tomorrow.

Most important on my list was to get the grass seed that I planted yesterday covered in peat and old hay, so that the llamas could stomp it down over the next few days.

Freshly seeded pasture!

I also seeded some random spots around the lawn by the house.

Last but not least was cleaning out the flower gardens around the house.  Luckily there wasn't too much to clean, just some dead iris leaves and flower stalks from daisies, hostas, cedum, etc.  I can already tell that the weeds are going to be terrible this year though!  The bulbs are just starting to poke through the soil, and we finally have crocuses blooming!  Guess it really is spring after all!

First signs of spring...crocuses are blooming, irises are just starting to grow, even the grass is thinking about growing!

A clean garden on the front of the house.  I'm not a perfectionist, the rest of the dead weeds can come out later!

Crocuses!!! 

No comments: